Monday, January 21, 2013

Pilot Mountain trail run/hike

As part of my New Year's resolution, I have decided to stop being a slave to paces, and I want to add more adventure to my running. I have always loved trail running, and hiking so why not start combining the 2 more often. I had the great privilege to go out to Pilot Mountain State Park to do some of said trail running/hiking. I decided to take the Grindstone trail from the ranger station up to the summit, then connect to Jomeokee for a small stretch, then hit the Ledge Springs trail that takes you around/under the small pinnacle, then merge back onto Grindstone back down to the car. It was outstanding! Weather was good, although cold, and conditions were good.

Starting out on Grindstone 3.3 miles up to the summit. Ledge Spring 2.2 miles, then 3.3 of Grindstone back down. I hiked up most of Grindstone to the summit. It was great, and conditions were good considering there was some snow at the top. I decided to use my body like a bicycle hiking the uphills, and when walking felt easy I ran, and on downs I was darn near sprinting at times. Once I got to the Summit and on Ledge Springs, I was in heaven working through the rocks the scenery was amazing at times. On the way back down Grindstone my quads were on fire, but I ran almost all of the 3.3 miles back down and made good time coming down. I could write a book on how much fun this was, but I will just leave it here as one of the best days I have had on my feet in a long time! Recovered with some Shock Top IPA :) Attached are some pictures of the trip.

Tech notes: around 8 miles/ shoes NB MT110/ Nathan Race Vest (blog post on this bad boy later)

Pics are in order and attempt to be chronological.