Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Journey in Self Experiment.

Ok so here is the deal, I am carrying around about 40 pounds of excess weight. I carry the weight pretty well, so I don't look obese or anything, BUT at 210lbs and 5'10"'s tall I need to lose the weight in hopes of greatly improving my athletic and mostly my running performance. So what can I do now at 210lbs? I can run sub 50 min. 10k's, sub 23 min. 5k's, and sub 1:50 1/2 marathons. So what is possible if I drop 40lbs? Who know's but I would love to see. The key for me is keeping my endurance engine in tack. Plainly speaking I have a big engine, so if I can maintain my power and endurance and drop the weight I should greatly improve. So how am I going to do this? In the spirit of crazy experiment, I am going to stick to an intermittent fasting regimen called the Warrior Diet. Basically you have none, to very little calories for 20 hours, then for 4 hours you have 1 big meal. Now this big meal does not mean 4 triple cheeseburgers, but a satisfying amount. What has led me to wanting to try this are 2 things. One, conventional wisdom says you should not fast and partake in endurance training and events, so being a good running coach (my opinion, proof is in the pudding) I think I can make it work with the diet. Two, I like to eat, hello this is why I am carrying 40 extra pounds around, so a bigger meal at night will fit the description. The biggest key is getting them to work together. If you look at evolutionary science, this should work as we evolved to hunt during the day and eat at night. Also, evolutionary science has proven that we evolved to be endurance oriented to run down and track prey for long hours. So without getting crazy into the science, I think this could work, and I am going to give it a shot on myself. I am not going to do the fancy blood indicators, although that would rock, I am just going to go by the old standard of how to I feel and what results are occurring from this experiment. I will keep track of Blood Pressure, Heart Rate, and Cholesterol. I am just gonna keep this simple, then go from there. So here we go, gonna start this Journey Tomorrow and see how it goes. I am going to write a weekly Blog entry to keep track and I will fill you guys in on anything crazy, weird, or just plain cool.

 Thanks for reading! ---Justin GCA Head Coach. 


This is not a perfect picture, but a good starting photo. You can clearly see the extra weight I am carrying around. #fitfat hahaha.